While I DID finish this book, it wasn't one of my favorites. Too many things left undone at the end and way too much symbolism that I didn't get. I felt the author was trying too hard at times, and I just couldn't get what she was trying to say. BUT, I did like the banter back and forth style that the main character had with the rest of the characters. She felt like a real kid and teenager by her language.
Any way, on to my project. At one point in the book, the mother calls the son a geode*, her husband a grey boulder*, and her daughter sea glass*.
*see above re: too much symbolism
Well, I wanted a piece of jewelry I would wear. Often, for bookclub projects, I too, try too hard** and I end up with a WAY over the top necklace with tons of imagery and symbols BUT I never wear it.
**see above re: author trying too hard
Recipe: Crazy Lemon Cake Necklace
- Sea glass - faux sea glass substitute is okay
- Geode slice - glass imitation substitute is okay
- Boulder - tumbled gem in same color substitute is okay
- Something to represent Mom - yellow = lemon cake
- Something to represent Grandma - pearls of course!
- Attach all items together as a family
- Use asymmetric style to convey crazy family dynamic
- Use round toggle at the end to show the emptiness I felt at the end
- Use purple to symbolize the magical feel of the book
Check out the Facebook page to see what everyone made!